About Habitat for Humanity NYC
Habitat for Humanity NYC is an independent affiliate of the global nonprofit Habitat for Humanity International. Habitat NYC works within the five boroughs of New York City, transforming lives and communities through home construction and preservation and by engaging thousands of New Yorkers around the cause of affordable housing. Since 1984, they have helped more than 1,300 New York City families build strength, stability and self-reliance through housing. Habitat NYC homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. Habitat NYC is working to serve more people than ever before and they are on track to serve 2,021 families by 2021.
The Director of Individual Giving will be responsible for developing and implementing donor-centric strategies to increase annual and multi-year revenue from individuals and family foundations primarily through major gifts, events, and planned giving.
Reporting directly to the VP of Resource Development, the DIG will be a key member of Habitat’s management team. He/she must be able to create strong working relationships with office staff as well as members of Habitat NYC’s board and leadership council. With a focused understanding of Habitat NYC’s vision and program needs, this role will help achieve the objective of aligning the affiliate’s fundraising efforts with its strategic direction. The position is responsible for developing and managing systems and processes related to all key parts of individual giving fundraising.
This affiliate serves the five boroughs of New York City, and solicitations are limited to this service area. While this position reports to the VP of Development, he/she will work closely with the CEO, and will directly oversee the Individual Giving Manager.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is a strong internal and external collaborator, and has the capacity and skills to help significantly expand the current high net-worth individual donor base. While Habitat NYC has an existing pool of donors, the emphasis in this position is also on the prospecting, qualifying, cultivating and closing of gifts from new donors.
• Works with VP of Resource Development to develop an annual plan and budget for a 3-year philanthropic initiative focused on each functional area of individual giving (major gifts, annual fund, and other diverse sources).
• Develop and implement a Major Gifts program that generates funds through high net worth individuals, planned giving, special events, family foundation support, annual giving and special programs which meet and exceed the fundraising goals for individual giving.
• Support and grow the organization’s relationship with members of the board and leadership council through solicitation strategies and the drafting and coordination of regular communication materials.
• Ensure that senior staff and leadership are supported in their donor relations work by developing strategy briefs and leading prep meetings.
• Manage a portfolio of 200+ donors and prospects. Proactively create and implement strategies for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors to make annual major gifts, including for annual gala and other fundraising events.
• Manage prospect research efforts and create pipeline of current and prospective donors. Prepare personalized materials for solicitation such as proposals and presentations.
• Develop new and current family foundation donors; prepare necessary materials, work with Grants Manager to execute reports and grant applications to make successful funding requests.
• Generate frequent detailed activity reports and analytics on Individual Giving fundraising progress for the VP of Resource Development and regular succinct, concise reports for the CEO.
• Utilize volunteers and/or interns to implement program as needed.
• 5+ years of successful fundraising experience, preferably in the New York City area;
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• High energy with a self-starting, independent and goal-oriented attitude, who can also lead and work constructively with team-members;
• Able to demonstrate a passion for the mission of Habitat for Humanity NYC and a familiarity with the city’s affordable housing issues;
• Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to think strategically and communicate effectively;
• Motivated and enthusiastic, with the ability to own projects while asking for assistance when needed;
• Ethical with a high degree of professionalism, including a demonstrated ability to manage responsibilities with flexibility, integrity and tact;
• Able to demonstrate consistent and sound judgment, and to think through, create and follow timelines;
• Ability to define, refine, and document processes;
• Must be comfortable working in a collaborative environment, as part of a team;
• Excellent communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills;
• Computer fluency in MS office, Raiser’s Edge (strongly preferred) and web applications; knowledgeable about the role of technology and electronic communication in fundraising.
• Relationship Development: Strong networking and relationship management skills. Ability to use sound judgement in communications and one-on-one with major donors. Strong listening skills and adept at building trust with high-giving potential and high net-worth individual donors and prospects.
• Collaboration: Seek and develop relationships with senior leadership and colleagues across the organization, especially within the Resource Development department. Ability to anticipate needs and opportunities for collaboration to maximize gifts to Habitat NYC.
• Perseverance: Dedication to tracking, reporting and following-through on donor cultivation and stewardship communication and outreach.
Habitat NYC Administrative Offices: 111 John St. 23rd Floor New York, NY, ability to travel among the five boroughs
Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm, evenings and weekends as required
Careers at Habitat for Humanity New York City are challenging, rewarding and fulfilling. If you are interested in bringing your passion for the mission of Habitat for Humanity to the organization, please apply by sending a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Director of Individual Giving Application.’