Reports to: Director of Marketing & Communications
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience, competitive benefits
Start Date: July 1, 2021
About Habitat for Humanity New York City:
Founded in 1984 as an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, Habitat NYC builds and preserves homes in New York City and Westchester County for affordable ownership. Our mission is to transform lives by building quality homes with families in need and by uniting all New Yorkers around the cause of affordable housing.
The Marketing and Communications Assistant will play an integral role in the Marketing and Communications team and will be responsible for supporting the team by executing a wide range of administrative, creative, communications and events functions. The Assistant will maintain the foundation of the department from which the team executes its critical activities. The Assistant will work in a collaborative environment as part of a small team, reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications under the general guidance of the Vice President of External Affairs.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with an interest in marketing, communications and design. The ideal candidate for this position has a strong work ethic, a can-do attitude, excellent communication skills, is organized and detail-oriented and is excited about the prospect of significantly growing awareness of the organization. Basic graphic design skills are necessary.
- Make updates and changes to website using WordPress.
- Manage print production of collateral and signage
- Manage ordering of promotional items and staff apparel
- Create PowerPoint decks from existing templates; make required edits as needed
- Use Adobe Creative Suite software to create and edit graphic assets for print and digital platforms
- Coordinate visual assets – manage video shoots and production, photoshoots and photography archive
- Help to ensure brand standards are met and maintained across the organization
- Manage external creative vendors as needed
- Daily execution of four social media channels. Assist in the development and execution of social media campaigns.
- Assist in maintenance of editorial calendar of all external communications.
- Build and proofread organizational emails
- Assist with interdepartmental collection and solicitation of storytelling elements for external and internal communications.
- Administrative tasks in support of Marketing and Communications team.
- Working with the Director of Individual Giving, develop an annual stewardship plan and budget for the mid-level donor portfolio, incorporating annual campaigns, monthly giving, peer-to-peer fundraising and cultivation events etc.
- Manage mid-level donor portfolio, performing all communication, cultivation, stewardship and recognition. Identify and upgrade donors and prospects when appropriate to the Major Giving Portfolio
- Develop donor centric best practices for mid-level donors. Provide expertise and strategic recommendations for fundraising initiatives and ensures message continuity through fundraising efforts
- Track and document the cultivation and solicitation activities for mid-level giving prospects and donors in Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Report on donor metrics, budget expenses, and revenue goals
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2 – 4 years of relevant business experience. Ideal candidate has experience in social media, and design.
- Ability or willingness to learn to create and optimize relevant graphic elements for web and social media; knowledge of photography/videography a plus.
- Excellent communication and writing skills: ability to articulate Habitat NYC’s mission, program objectives, and resource needs
- Superlative organizational skills: ability to manage complex projects from creation to completion, plan and prioritize multiple projects, and coordinate to meet deadlines.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills: ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments.
- Demonstrated tact, integrity, emotional intelligence and professionalism.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and approach problems creatively.
- Ability to travel within New York City and Westchester County and work occasional evenings and weekends as necessary.
Technical Skills Required:
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Knowledge and proficiency with social media platforms and Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of front-end web development, including WordPress
- NetCommunity or similar email management tool
- Personal and social awareness of complex systems and structures that promote, support, or facilitate racial, social, and economic injustice and a driving passion to dismantle and rebuild these systems for the benefit of disenfranchised individuals, families, and communities.
- Communication: Clearly conveys and receives information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience, helps them understand and retain the message, and invites response and feedback. Keeps others informed as appropriate. Demonstrates good written, oral, and listening skills
- Teamwork: Participates as an active and contributing member of a team to achieve team goals. Works cooperatively with other team members, involves others, shares information as appropriate, and shares credit for team accomplishments.
M-F 9am-5pm with some nights and weekends as required
Habitat NYC intends to re-engage our New York City office with a hybrid in-person and work-from-home model in order to better build cross divisional strengths with team members.
Safety is our number one priority and our office is currently retrofitted with COVID-19 safety measures. Masks and other safety equipment will be supplied to all Habitat NYC staff upon our return. The office is located at 111 John St. Fl. 23, New York, NY 10038.
Careers at Habitat for Humanity New York City are challenging, rewarding and fulfilling. If you are interested in bringing your passion for the mission of Habitat for Humanity to the organization, please apply by sending a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications to HR Hiring Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing and Communications Assistant”.