Founded in 1984 as an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, Habitat NYC constructs new or renovates existing homes in the five boroughs of New York City for affordable homeownership by families in need. Our mission is to transform lives by building quality homes with families in need and by uniting all New Yorkers around the cause of affordable housing.
The People Services volunteer offers the chance to gain exposure to many different areas of Human Resources while working in a nonprofit environment. The volunteer will work on projects in a wide variety of HR related disciplines including recruiting, employee engagement and recognition, policies and procedures, as well as assisting with employee events and activities.
This multi-faceted volunteer opportunity is geared towards an individual with demonstrated strong interpersonal, communication, and relationship building skills. We are looking for a volunteer with excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as a high level of initiative. This volunteer role will provide opportunities to contribute to improvement of key initiatives and work with senior level executives.
- Screen resumes, schedule and confirm interviews with candidates
- Social media content curation assistance
- HR communications – Draft and oversee recruiting language and materials
- Works to build a dynamic employee onboarding orientation program
- Update handbook and policy manuals, organizational charts, and HR related power point decks on an as-needed basis.
- Post, update and remove job postings from job boards, career pages and social networks
- Draft, review and distribute company policies
- Organize company recognition and engagement events
- Undergraduate students and graduate students will be considered
- Relevant coursework in Human Resources/Psychology/Business
- Prior office experience preferred
- Strong attention to detail required
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks independently
- Must be available for a minimum of ten (10) hours a week
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Location is at Habitat NYC’s office at 111 John Street, New York. Hours to be determined upon selection, but a minimum of 10 hours per week is required.
This is an unpaid volunteer position.
Careers at Habitat for Humanity New York City are challenging, rewarding and fulfilling. If you are interested in bringing your passion for the mission of Habitat for Humanity to the organization, please apply by sending a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications to Jennifer Schwerin at firstname.lastname@example.org.