Habitat for Humanity New York City is pleased to announce that we will open our first ReStore in 2014. A ReStore is a retail store concept that accepts donations of overstocked, used, discontinued items and salvageable building materials donated by manufacturers, stores, contractors and individuals. Items can include new and gently used furniture, building materials, appliances, cabinetry, sinks, countertops, household and décor items. The ReStore then sells those items to the public at a reduced cost, typically 50-80% percent off the original retail value.
The ReStore sells donated building materials, furnishings, tools, and appliances. Proceeds from the sale of these items are used to build homes for low-income families throughout New York City.
Location of the store is TBD but will be in New York City.
ReStore Volunteer Positions will include:
- Retail Sales Associate: greet, guide, and offer to assist customers on the sales floor in a courteous manner, oversee display and organization of showroom sales areas, answer questions regarding products including availability
- Furniture Repairer/Refinisher: repair & prepare donated merchandise which needs TLC before it can be sold (utilizes hand and power tools, paint, building materials, etc.)
- Donation Procurement: manage relationships & secure in-kind / large scale donations
- “Donation Ambassador” / “Co-Pilot” (travel time 80%+): Assist our ReStore driver on the road with picking up donations, filling out ReStore donation receipt for donor. Because we rely on donations, volunteer support is crucial to our donation pick-up program. An extra pair of hands, or “Co-Pilot”, can double our efficiency. Heavy lifting is involved.
- “Donation Hotline” Dispatcher: answers donation hotline, schedules pickups throughout the 5 boroughs
- Pricing & Visual Merchandising: research market value for merchandise, publicize merchandise to known interested customers, create detailed descriptions for the in store & online postings.
- Volunteer Operations: log donations into database, recruit & orient new volunteers, answer general phone line
- Must be people-oriented, adaptable, enthusiastic, and willing to advocate the mission of Habitat for Humanity New York City.
- Must possess the ability to plan, organize and handle multiple functions simultaneously & communicate clearly and courteously.
- Exhibit positive working attitude by demonstrating respect for fellow workers, volunteers and customers.
- Respond with high standards of customer service and satisfaction.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Friendly and helpful attitude
SCHEDULE / DAILY DETAILS
- Location of the ReStore is TBD
- Volunteer shifts are 4 hours or 8 hours per day.
- We are looking for volunteers to commit consistently to at least one day per week.
Service hours for College and High School students are available; we can accurately track your hours and provide you with the documentation you need.
- If you are a student and need volunteer hours as part of your curriculum, please let us know on your Orientation day.
Orientations are held at our 111 John Street office & also at the ReStore location. After attending an Orientation, volunteers may sign up for ReStore shifts.
Training is provided and consists of a ReStore informational video, warehouse safety video, customer service scenarios and more! Each particular volunteer position will include on-the-job training from the Manager or AmeriCorps members.
BENEFITS TO VOLUNTEERING:
- The opportunity to interact with a variety of different people in a community friendly environment.
- Being part of Habitat for Humanity New York City’s mission to provide safe, affordable homeownership opportunities for low-income families.
Interested candidates should send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org