Founded in 1984 as an independent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, Habitat NYC constructs new or renovates existing homes in the five boroughs of New York City for affordable homeownership by families in need. Our mission is to transform lives by building quality homes with families in need and by uniting all New Yorkers around the cause of affordable housing.
The Senior Accountant will assist Director of Finance and Chief Financial Officer in key functions including financial reporting, budgeting, and monthly closing and oversees HR, insurance and IT tasks.
Cash management/Month end closing
- Provide oversight of finance transactions for timeliness, accuracy and proper authorization. The areas include Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Journal Entries and Fixed Assets
- Review reconciliation of organization’s all bank accounts, credit cards, and perform monthly Cash position analysis
- Maintain effective communication with banks, major vendors and other service providers
- Perform monthly analysis of all Receivables, Payables, and General Ledger Accounts for accuracy and appropriateness
- Prepare monthly department budgets and bimonthly financial statements for CFO & board
- Perform all insurance related tasks including worker’s compensation and handle year end insurance renewal
- Act as primary liaison with payroll processing provider with respect to payroll and benefits and oversees all other HR issues
- Assist Director of Finance in monitoring departmental and construction budgets on a monthly basis and produce monthly reports
- Assist in annual tax filing of 990’s
- Assist in preparation of monthly financial reports and external reporting requirements
- Assist with year-end audit and tax process
- CPA Preferred
- BA in Accounting
- 3-5 years of work related experience
- Knowledge of Fund EZ, MS office, and general computer programs
- Detail oriented and proven organization and planning skills
- Ability to provide satisfactory customer service and to work with others within or outside department
- Strong excel skills including v lookups, pivot tables and other functions
- Problem identification and analysis
- Multi tasker and ability to manage deadlines
Careers at Habitat for Humanity New York City are challenging, rewarding and fulfilling. If you are interested in bringing your passion for the mission of Habitat for Humanity to the organization, please apply by sending a resume and cover letter outlining your qualifications to Beverley Hoyte at BeverleyH@habitatnyc.org with Senior Accountant in the subject line.