Habitat for Humanity New York City is an independent affiliate of the global nonprofit Habitat for Humanity International. Habitat NYC works within the five boroughs of New York City, transforming lives and communities through home construction and preservation and by engaging thousands of New Yorkers around the cause of affordable housing. Since 1984, they have helped more than 1,200 New York City families build strength, stability and self-reliance through housing. Habitat NYC homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers and pay an affordable mortgage. Habitat NYC is working to serve more people than ever before and they are on track to serve 2,021 families by 2021.
Habitat for Humanity New York City is seeking an experienced Vice President of Resource Development to be a leader and innovator who possesses the vision, passion and expertise to help the organization increase revenue opportunities from a variety of philanthropic sources. The VP will lead a dynamic team and be responsible for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $4M budget through the solicitation of major gifts, individual giving, special events, corporate, faith and foundation support.
S/he will expand and diversify the donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VP will work closely with the board of directors, and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
For further information, please contact Jacqueline Eddy at firstname.lastname@example.org or at +1 (631) 708-7936.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President of Resource Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting Habitat NYC. In partnership with the CEO, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build Habitat NYC’s visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP of Resource Development also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual, corporate and philanthropic support.
- creating and implementing expanded fundraising strategies and campaigns, including those for special events, direct marketing, planned giving and major donor programs to promote a diverse and sustainable funding base for Habitat NYC;
- supporting and partnering with the CEO and board members on all major fundraising initiatives;
- collaborating with the Chief Financial Officer to develop and implement the financial strategy;
- developing annual fundraising budget and monthly forecasts and providing timely reports to Chief Executive Officer on goals and outcomes;
- being responsible for the general supervision, hiring and development of the department’s staff including the establishment of departmental goals; monitoring staffing and scheduling needs; effectively coaching and counseling subordinates; accurately monitoring the performance standards of each staff member, evaluation of employees and for promoting cooperative, productive behavior;
- collaborating with the External Affairs team to develop and implement sponsorship and marketing collateral. This includes the development of print, audio and video materials for a variety of targeted groups in multiple industries;
- monitoring all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders;
- developing and implementing a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors;
- maintaining a solid understanding of Habitat NYC’s mission, strategies, culture, values, history, programs and initiatives, and stay abreast of fundraising trends.
The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of the following skills, capabilities and experience:
- 10+ years of professional fundraising experience in a nonprofit organization; and/or demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging business relationships), proven leadership in business development, sales and management
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Habitat NYC
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Accomplished and proven staff supervisor with an inclusive management style; able to attract, lead, and develop staff members
- Demonstrated ability to be a creative and resourceful problem solver; able to balance tension between partner expectations and organizational capabilities, strategies and results.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, driven and goal oriented.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to think strategically and execute efficiently and effectively.
- Advanced computer skills (Raiser’s Edge Certified preferred) and expertise in Microsoft Office (Word; Excel; Power Point; Outlook).
- Passion for the vision and mission of Habitat NYC and strong interest in the issue of affordable housing.
- Relationship Development
- Strong networking and relationship management skills, with a history of growing relationships from transactional to mutually beneficial, particularly around fundraising;
- Demonstrate a willingness to work in a collaborative and strong team-based organization.
Executing to Results
- Efficient time management skills, ability to meet deadlines and prioritize multiple priorities.
- Ability to parse large projects into small achievable goals.
- Strong research skills—ability to identify and research corporate prospects.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills—experience writing persuasive and inspiring proposals and reports.
- Ability to evaluate partnership impact and success. Ability to construct strong, persuasive promotional and sales materials, decks, one-page documents, etc.
- Ability to negotiate sales, recommitments, and to close the deal on revenue-generating activities as well as effectively interface with staff, community leaders and senior level executives.
Appointment Details and How to Apply:
The executive search firm Society is assisting Habitat NYC with this appointment process.
Applications should consist of a CV, ideally accompanied by a brief covering letter addressing the criteria in the Person Specification. Applicants can upload these documents via Society’s website: www.society-search.com.