Your Site Day: Info and Requirements
Your Volunteer Day
A Day In the Life
• No construction experience necessary – just enthusiasm! Come prepared to haul, dig, measure, cut, pound, raise, demolish or clean – and see real results.
• We work hard to move our Family Partners into their homes and plan our work based on the number of volunteers who have registered for that day. If you’re unable to make it, please let us know so that we can open your spot for another volunteer.
• Habitat NYC builds Wednesday through Friday, 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday 9:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
8:45am: Volunteers arrive, sign in and submit their waivers
9:00am: Morning meeting! This provides a site overview and Habitat NYC info
9:15am: Break into smaller groups and get started!
12:00pm: Break for lunch
1:00pm: Back to work!
3:30pm: Clean up and wrap up
4:00pm: Depart, thank you!
9:15am: Arrive, sign in, waivers, etc.
9:30am: Morning meeting! This provides a site overview and Habitat NYC info
9:45am: Break into smaller groups and get started!
12:30pm: Break for Lunch
1:30pm: Back to work!
4:00pm: Clean up and wrap up
4:30pm: Depart, thank you!
Know Before You Go
• You must be at least 16 years of age to participate on a construction site or at least 14 years of age to participate in one of our Brush with Kindness projects.
• All volunteers must complete a Release and Waiver of Liability. Volunteers under 18 must have a signed consent waiver from a parent/guardian.
• We work rain or shine! For weather-related cancellations due to extreme weather conditions, please call our Hotline at 212-991-4000 (press 5 for the volunteer department and then 1 for site closings) the morning of your volunteer day.
• If you are unable to perform a task due to health concerns, please let your site staff know when you arrive.
What to Bring & What to Leave At Home
• Leave your unessential valuables at home. Unfortunately, we can’t guarantee a safe place to store them.
• Water is available throughout the day. Please bring a reusable bottle to refill as you go.
• Bring your lunch!
• We provide clean port-o-johns and hand sanitizer.
What to Wear
• Wear comfortable work clothes since you will definitely get dirty!
• Most of the homes we are currently building or repairing are not yet heated, however, warming stations are located throughout each home and provide minimal heat. Please dress accordingly - multiple layers are best.
• For construction projects wear thick-soled shoes or work boots to comply with city & state laws. Sneakers are allowed on Brush With Kindness projects. For safety reasons, you may be unable to volunteer if you don’t have the proper shoes.
• Bring a bandana or skull cap to wear underneath the hard hat.
• Habitat NYC provides gloves, tools, and safety equipment, although you are welcome to bring your own tools and safety equipment if you prefer.
• No smoking is allowed on site.
• Our Site Supervisors and AmeriCorps Site Leaders are amazing and dedicated professionals who are responsible for your safety and can give you the best advice about how to build in the Habitat Way!
• Cell phones and other electronic equipment may only be used in designated areas. Trust us, hammering and texting don’t mix.
Habitat for Humanity New York City transforms lives by building quality homes with families in need and by uniting all New Yorkers around the cause of affordable housing.