Volunteer with Habitat NYC
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Habitat for Humanity NYC. Volunteers are at the heart of everything we do. We welcome, train and deploy individuals and groups from faith institutions, corporations, educational and community groups to work toward providing New Yorkers with quality, affordable homeownership.
There are plenty of ways for you to get involved. While we welcome volunteers with construction skills, we don’t require previous experience. We provide all of the training needed for the day, all you need is your enthusiasm and energy to lend a helping hand.
Getting started is easy. You can select a date to volunteer now, or, if you would like to have more information, you can sign up for a Volunteer Orientation. Either way, click the “Sign Up to Volunteer” button and you’ll be directed to create a brief profile. Once completed, simply sign up for your selected event or activity.
Volunteer Orientations cover everything you can expect as a volunteer – from working in the office to building on one of our sites, how we accomplish our mission and our homeownership model.
Volunteer Orientations are for people who are new to us and would like to learn more before signing up to volunteer. Orientations are optional and are not required to volunteer with us.
Volunteer Orientations are held twice a month. To RSVP, please create a user profile in the VolunteerHub system and register for an upcoming date.
Volunteers are the heart of Habitat for Humanity NYC. Even if you've never picked up a hammer, there are plenty of ways you can get involved!
Construction – Build in Brooklyn, Queens, & Staten Island
- No construction experience necessary – just enthusiasm! Come prepared to haul, dig, measure, cut, pound, raise, demolish or clean – and see real results
- Renovate single-family homes for hardworking, first-time homeowners in Queens or help repair homes affected by Superstorm Sandy in Brooklyn and Staten Island
- Volunteers age 16 & up may participate with a signed waiver from a parent or guardian
Brush With Kindness – Revitalize community spaces throughout NYC
- Enhance community spaces by painting interiors and murals, landscaping and gardening, or performing minor construction tasks in all five boroughs
- Help rehabilitate public schools, playgrounds, community centers, and public parks
- Volunteers ages 14 & up may participate with a signed waiver from a parent or guardian
ReStore – Support our new retail store in Queens
- Our ReStore is a retail store that accepts donations of overstocked, used, and discontinued items in addition to salvageable building materials
- Volunteer opportunities available: sales, furniture repair, donation procuring, customer service, pricing & visual merchandising, interior design & furniture staging and administrative tasks
- Volunteers age 14 & up may participate with a signed waiver from a parent or guardian and all volunteers age 14–15 must have an adult present
NYC Office – Volunteer within our departments
- Our Family Services, Volunteer Services, and Advocacy departments all have volunteer opportunities available – contact us for more details
For any questions, please contact email@example.com or call 212-991-4000, ext. 315.
We have a number of great options for group volunteering. If you would like to learn more and be contacted regarding group opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-991-4000, ext. 315.
If you have a team that needs building, we have just the project for you! Companies benefit from the opportunity to involve employees in positive, uplifting, team-building activities.
Learn more about how corporate volunteering works
Faith and Community
Habitat NYC is a faith-based housing ministry that welcomes people of all faiths to participate. We reach out to all congregations to help us work for housing justice throughout New York City.
Learn more about our faith and community programs
Habitat for Heroes is Habitat NYC’s veteran and military program. It looks to combat the affordable housing crisis our veteran and military communities face. We offer opportunities for individual and group volunteering, affordable homeownership, and critical home repair.
Learn more about Habitat for Heroes
School and Youth Groups
Our School and Youth programs provide an opportunity for youth ages 5–25 to build on our vision of a world without poverty housing. Though not all youth are able to volunteer on our sites, there are many ways to get your school or youth group involved.
Learn more about our youth activities and programs
Habitat for Humanity New York City transforms lives by building quality homes with families in need and by uniting all New Yorkers around the cause of affordable housing.